Here is a list of some useful medicines and dressings with a description of their uses. All are quite cheap and are worth stocking at home in readiness for minor illnesses.
- Soluble Aspirin tablets – For adults and children over the age of 16 - good for headaches, colds and sore throats.
- Paracetamol – For adults - good for general pain relief.
- Paracetamol Mixture (e.g. Calpol) – For young children – good for pain relief. Remember that you can telephone the Health Visitor on 554 3310 for advice about your young child.
- Antiseptic Solution – Use one teaspoon diluted in warm water to clean cuts and grazes.
- Antiseptic Cream – For cuts and grazes, sores and septic spots.
- Calamine Lotion – Apply gently to insect bites, stings and sunburn.
- Cotton wool and dressing strips – For cleaning and dressing minor cuts and grazes.
- Clotrimazole (eg Canesten) Cream and Pessary – For vaginal thrush.
Keep all these items in a box or cupboard with a lock and store them well out of the reach of children. Remember that your local chemist can advise you about minor ailments and medicines, and in many cases can also supply these items free of charge.